Higher education has an important role in supporting the establishment of the ASEAN Community and preparing the ASEAN people and countries for regional integration. Knowledge of science, technology and innovation is one of the key factors in sustaining economic
growth, enhancing community’s well-being and promoting integration into ASEAN.
To build a strong science and technology base for ASEAN as a single integrated economy, and to ensure ASEAN remains globally competitive, ASEAN member countries have to move up the technology ladder and focus on enhancing their capability for technological innovation in many areas.
Since its establishment, Suranaree University of Technology (SUT) has constantly proved itself to be in the forefront of higher education institutions in the country and in the Asia-Pacific region. With its careful development and fast and steady progress, it has produced numerous outstanding achievements, well recognized by both nationally and internationally. Highlights of these concrete achievements include its well-earned status as one of the nine National Research Universities selected by the Royal Thai Government for the year 2010 and its rank at the highest level among research and teaching universities in Thailand as assessed by The Office of National Education Standards Quality Assessment in 2009, which placed SUT as No.1 in the Public University group, and No.2 in the All University category. Moreover, SUT’s School of Physics was ranked No. 1 and the School of Chemistry “excellent” in 2008.
In 2007 SUT was ranked in the Outstanding Group among science and technology universities, by the Thailand Research Fund. The 2006 ranking by the Office of the Higher Education Commission also ranked SUT in the ‘Outstanding Research” and “Excellent Teaching and Learning” groups due to its remarkable performance in research and teaching and learning.
To respond to the establishment of the ASEAN Community and to celebrate the auspicious occasion of His Majesty the King’s 84th birthday anniversary, SUT is delighted to announce the launch of the SUT-Ph.D. Scholarship Program for ASEAN to promote student mobility and Ph.D. degree program development in the region.
Future employment in ASEAN will require graduates to have additional skills apart from their professional skills, such as English and other languages used in ASEAN 2 as well as inter-cultural skills. The SUT-Ph.D. Scholarship Program for ASEAN will be one definite step toward greater academic collaboration in the ASEAN Community. Nine scholarships will be granted to students or faculty members of higher education institutions in ASEAN countries to further the study of doctoral degrees study at SUT in the fields of Science, Engineering, Agricultural Technology and Social Technology.
Eligible applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
1. Be national of an ASEAN country (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam)
2. Hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field
3. Ph.D. scholarship for Bachelor degree holder
Hold a Bachelor’s degree with GPAX > 3.25 (in 4.00 scale) Ph.D. scholarship for Master degree holder Hold a Master’s degree with GPAX > 3.50 (in 4.00 scale) with at least one English- written research publication in a standard international journal.
4. Possess proficiency in English
For English Language Studies program, (TOEFL > 550 or IELTS > 6.0)
For all other Ph.D. programs, (TOEFL > 500 or IELTS > 5.0)
5. Be of good health physically and mentally
Applicants for the Scholarship MUST choose to study in the following Ph.D. programs offered by SUT: Institute of Science
(for more information please contact Prof.Dr. Kritsana Sagarik, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website http://science.sut.ac.th)
School of Mathematics: Ph.D. (Applied Mathematics) http://math.sut.ac.th/
- Differential Equations, Wavelets
School of Biochemistry: Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
- Protein Structure and Function, Carbohydrate Active Enzymes in Plants and Humans
School of Chemistry: Ph.D. (Chemistry) http://science.sut.ac.th/chemistry/
- Physical and Computational Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Materials
and Applied Chemistry
School of Biology: Ph.D. (Environmental Biology)/ Ph.D. (Biomedical
Sciences)/ Ph.D. (Microbiology) http://science.sut.ac.th/biology/
- Environmental Biology, Biomedical Sciences
School of Physics: Ph.D. (Physics) and Ph.D. (Applied Physics)
- Quantum Field Theory, High-Energy Physics, Theoretical Physics, Nuclear Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Accelerator Physics3
School of Laser Technology and Photonics: Ph.D. (Laser Technology)
- Laser Technology, Optical Information Processing, and Biomedical Optics
School of Remote Sensing : Ph.D. (Geoinformatics)
- GIS, MCDA, Geology for Resource Management and Geohazard Study,
Environmental Resources (Forest), Remote Sensing, Meteorology, Photogrammetry, Urban and Locational Study Institute of Engineering
(for more information please contactAsst. Prof. Dr. Pornsiri Jongkol, E-mail: email@example.com or visit website http://eng.sut.ac.th)
School of Chemical Engineering: Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering)
- Adsorption, Biomass Conversion, Crystallization, Powder Technology, Bioseparation Renewable Energy, Particle Technology, Modeling of Chemical Process
School of Mechanical Engineering: Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering)
- Adaptive System, Vibration Analysis, System Analysis, Heat Transfer Analysis, Finite Element Analysis, Thermal-Fluid Science, Alternative Energy, Industrial Automation, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
School of Polymer Engineering: Ph.D.(Polymer Engineering)
- Rheology of Multicomponent System, Processing-Crystallization-Property Relationship, Green Composites from Biodegradable Polymers and Natural Fibers/Biofillers, Biopolymers for Electronic and Automotive Industries, Engineered Woods and Green Adhesives for Engineered
School of Geotechnology: (Ph.D. Geotechnology)
- Geological Engineering Rock Mechanics
School of Telecommunication Engineering: Ph.D. (Telecommunication
- Telecommunication Engineering
School of Industrial Engineering: Ph.D. (Industrial Engineering)
- Ergonomics, Statistical Analysis, Logistics and Supply Chain Management,
Healthcare Logistics, Optimization
School of Transportation Engineering: Ph.D. (Transportation Engineering)
- Transportation Safety, Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering
School of Electrical Engineering: Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering)
- Computer and Robot Visions, Signal and Image Processing, Electronic Systems, Power and Energy, Control and Automation, Microelectromechanical Systems(MEMS), Power Quality Research Unit (PQRU), Power Electronics, Machines, and Control (PeMC)
School of Environmental Engineering: Ph.D. (Environmental Engineering)
- Water treatment, Water Quality Management, Wastewater Treatment, Constructed Wetlands, Industrial Waste Management, Adsorption, Air Quality Control and Air Pollution
School of Civil Engineering: Ph.D. (Civil Engineering)
- Geotechnical Engineering 4
School of Ceramic Engineering: Ph.D. (Ceramic Engineering)
- Nanomaterials, Ceramic Composites, Structural Ceramics, Piezoelectric Ceramics, Electronic Ceramics, Conventional Ceramics, Glass, Bioceramics, Smartmaterials, Electronic Ceramics, Fuel Cell, Functional Ceramics, Piezoelectric Materrials, Multiferroic Materials
Institute of Agricultural Technology
(for more information please contact Assoc.Prof.Dr. Neung Teaumrung, E-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website http://iat.sut.ac.th)
School of Crop Production Technology: Ph.D. (Crop Science)
- Plant Breeding, Crop Physiology, Postharvest and Seed Technology, Soil and Water Management, Plant Protection
School of Animal Production Technology: Ph.D. (Animal Production
- Monogastric Animal Nutrition, Ruminant Nutrition, Animal Breeding, Animal Physiology, Veterinary Science, Fish Genetic, Cryopreservation of fish spermatozoa
School of Food Technology: Ph.D.(Food Technology)
- Food Processing, Food Chemistry, Food Microbiology, Food Engineering, Product Development, Food Carbohydrates, Bioactive Peptides, Starter Cultures in Food, Physico-Chemical Properties of Food, Food Rheology and Emulsion
School of Biotechnology :Ph.D. (Biotechnology)
- Agricultural and Microbiological Biotechnology, Molecular Biotechnology, Embryo and Stemcells Technology, Industrial and Bio-Engineering, Molecular Biology of Plant-Microbe Interaction Phage Display Technology, Antibody Engineering Institute of Social Technology (for more information please contact Assoc.Prof.Dr. Aunchalee Wannaruk, E-mail: email@example.com or visit website http://soctech.sut.ac.th/fl/)
School of Foreign Languages: Ph.D. ( English Languages Studies)
- Pragmatics, Spoken Discourse Analysis, Psychological Factors Affecting Language Learning, Language Learning Strategies
DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Ph.D. scholarship for Bachelor degree holder: Five academic years
*Current Academics Year 2013-2018 for applicants holding Bachelor’s
Ph.D. scholarship for Master degree holder: Three academic years
*Current Academics Year 2013-2015 for applicants holding Master’s degree5
Group 1: PhD scholarship for Bachelor degree holder: 1,200,000 Baht
Group 2: PhD scholarship for Master degree holder: 960,000 Baht
To cover the following expenses,
Tuition and all relevant fees.
Group 1: Monthly allowance of 8,000 Baht for the first two academic years
and 10,000 Baht for the last three academic years.
Group 2: Monthly allowance of 10,000 Baht for three academic years.
Accommodation (3,000 Baht per month) for the duration of scholarship at SUT.
Research budget of 250,000 Baht for PhD Dissertation.
Reserved budget of 68,000 Baht in activities relevant to the study
(endorsed by the committee on a case by case basis).
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
Original copy of the Application Form with a photograph taken not more than six
months from the deadline of the application
A certified copy of all degree certificates
A certified copy of transcript of records with grades and grade point average in
2 letters of recommendation in English
English translation of national identification card or certified copy of passport
showing date of birth
Certification (TOEFL or IELTS) of English language proficiency
HOW TO APPLY
Application form can be downloaded from website at: http://www.sut.ac.th/ASEAN Applicants have to specify the name of their intended school and their area of interest for study. Final decision for scholarship will be made by the selection committee at SUT. Potential applicants will be called for video conference interview by committee of SUT-Ph.D. Scholarship Program for ASEAN.
WHERE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION PACKAGE
Scholarship applicants have to prepare all application documents and submit them to the Center for International Affairs, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, THAILAND 30000. Please mark “SUT-Ph.D. Scholarship for ASEAN” at the bottom right corner of the application package. The applicants are recommended to also submit the application form and all required documents electronically (pdf files with size less than 5 MB via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org)
6 APPLICATION DEADLINE
The application forms and all required documents (both the original and electronic types) must be received no later than 9 January 2013. Late submission of application or incomplete applications will not be considered. Successful scholarship candidates will be contacted by late February 2013
CONTACT ADDRESS AND WEBSITE
SUT- Ph.D. Scholarship Program for ASEAN
c/o Center for International Affairs
Suranaree University of Technology
Nakhon Ratchasima 30000, Thailand
Telephone: +66 4422 4147 Fax: 66 4422 4140
For more information please visit http://www.sut.ac.th/ASEA